Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Great power

I believe this dialogue between two men was in some Tom Clancy's book I read in secondary school and it goes something like that:
- With great power comes great responsibility.
- Churchill?
- No, Spiderman...
Jokes aside, today I was put in the position of great responsibility. For the first time, I alone was responsible for students in the physical laboratory, twice. In short, the first time I was totally ready, but the second time... My scientific supervisor had an emergency, so I had to replace him. The classes start in 5 minutes and I don't even know what exercise that are supposed to do. Somehow, I come back victorious from this trial, having understood, properly explained and supervised exercises. Although it wasn't a big deal, it made me feel good :) And it made me think. If responsibility is an indication of power (at least according to Spiderman), what kind of power are we talking about in my case? In general, when you teach someone, you gain power over one's development. It is in your power to shape them, push them in the right direction, to some extend of course. If you think this power is not so strong let me ask you a question. Did you like particular subject in school because the teacher was cool? Lets try the other way. Did you not like a subject because the teacher was horrible? Now think. For example, your math teacher was an old, mean lady, who yelled a lot, talk to fast and was surprisingly never ill. You associated her with what you learnt and in result you despised math. You never wanted to have anything in common with it, never took an interest in what is beyond of what you've learnt in class. In a way, she is responsible for you not studying finances/economics and not becoming the owner of a large bank. It is not all her fault, but she made it this much harder for you to go in that direction. That is why, in my opinion, teachers are powerful. And much like Spiderman, with this power they can be superheroes. However, if they don't realize the responsibility they have they become supervillains. I know this outlook can be deemed as naive and, since expressed by someone with little experience, disregarded, but maybe someone reading this will reflect on their teaching methods, or maybe someone will take an extra interest in physics even though the teacher makes the classes a living nightmare.

No comments:

Post a Comment